Fountain
Monuments and Sculptures in Detroit

Previous Next Catalog Record Monuments and Statues Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 51/116
Copyright 2001, 2003 Detroit Historical Museum and the Detroit Historical Society.
Description: A young newsboy drops coins from one hand into another. Under his left arm he holds a bundle of papers and over his shoulder is swung a blacking kit. At his feet, sits a dog. The Newsboy Drinking Fountain was presented to the City of Detroit by James E. Scripps, with an estimated cost of $3,500. The occasion for the unveiling was the Newsboy's outing. On July 6, 1897, about 5,000 newsboys flocked to Belle Isle from Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Bay City, Ann Arbor and Jackson. Mayor Maybury gave a speech and ended the outing by granting the bronze newsboy a formal license to sell papers and giving the dog a tag. Games followed (THE DETROIT NEWS, July 7, 1897.) The interior of the stone fountain is inscribed "The Evening News to the/ Newsboys of Detroit." The Newsboy has been stolen twice---once in 1966, and again in 1974. A $100 reward was offered for his return. The fountain was restored in 1997, and a replacement of the original newsboy figure was installed. A standing plaque commemorates the restoration: " 'PARTNERS'/ Newsboy and His Dog/ Original Sculptor/ Frederick Dunbar, 1897/ Newsboy Sculptor/ Janice B. Trimpe, 1997/ The 1997 renovation was made possible/ through the efforts of a grant from the/ Gannett Foundation and donations by/ the Detroit Recreation Department/ Janice B. Trimpe, Center for Creative/ Studies and Venus Bronze Works, Inc." The plumbing works are no longer there.
Image


Unauthorized use is prohibited. No part of this web site may be published, stored or transmitted, in any form or by any means, without permission in writing from the Detroit Historical Museum or the Detroit Historical Society. All rights reserved.


For additional information regarding our online collections or to make a donation, please email Marianne Weldon at WeldonM@hist.ci.detroit.mi.us.    WeldonM@hist.ci.detroit.mi.us
Last modified on: January 10, 2004